AI, Ethics, and Geoethics (CS 5970)
In-The-News Module (Crosscutting)
- This assignment starts in week 2 and runs throughout the semester
- It should be fast and fun!
AI, Ethics, and Geoethics in the news
Have you seen examples of AI & ethics or geoethics in the news or found other interesting links that we should be keeping track of (such as the new AI & ethics journal)? For example, in December 2020, Google fired an AI Ethics researcher named Timnit Gebru and it was in the news cycle for awhile (the repercussions are still showing up). This particular incident has really highlighted a crisis in AI ethics research for industry which is not likely to resolve anytime soon.
For this module, your task throughout the semesters is to share AI and ethics or geoethics articles when you see them in the news. Put them in the #in-the-news channel and discuss! I will keep a running list of the articles on this page (I’ll try to update it weekly).
- OU students: There is an open quiz called “In-the-news” due at the end of the semester. Every time you submit a news article, go and add a number to your quiz where it says “How many news articles have I submitted?”. I made it so you can do multiple attempts and I will not give it a “right answer” so that I have to manually give it points at the end of the semester.
News and related links found spring 2021
- New journal on AI and ethics
- Data ethics group at the Alan Turing Institute
- Ethics in ML for children’s social care at the Alan Turing Institute
- Cat Pictures Please – a discussion about AI & ethics from a newly awakened AI’s point of view (science fiction). TW: sexual topics also discussed
- Continued fallout about Timnit Gebru:
- The paper Timnit Gebru was asked to retract
- New links to articles or interesting news to be added as you send them