AI, Ethics, and Geoethics (CS 5970)
Module 2: The Importance of Fairness in Algorithmic Decision-Making
- (25 min) Watch Dr Turner-Lee’s talk
- (30-60 min) Discussion on slack
- (5 min) Grading declaration
For this assignment, I want you to watch Dr Nicol Turner-Lee‘s keynote talk at the AMS AI conference in January 2021. If you attended AMS, you can get to her talk behind the AMS firewall. If you did not attend AMS and are an OU member, you can access the talk from canvas. Participants outside of OU can email Dr McGovern for access. Dr McGovern is working to get AMS to make the talk public on their website quickly.
This discussion will happen in the #general channel.
As with all assignments, we are going to have an active discussion on slack! Make sure you follow all the classroom rules of conduct and always be respectful, even if you disagree.
If we were in a room together, the conversation would be free-flowing. I want our conversation to be in that same spirit. I have listed a few ideas for discussion below but I want you to add your own questions and thoughts! Remember to use threading to make it easier to keep track of what is happening in the discussion.
The following are the initial questions to get you thinking but please feel free to add your own!
- What role does fairness play in decision making?
- How do the ideas of bias and fairness and issues with data collection apply to applications outside of what she discussion? For example, we discussed geoscience applications in the chat after her the talk at AMS. Think outside the box of what we have already discussed with Race After Technology and Coded Bias.
- What are the impacts of AI related policy (Dr Turner-Lee works for a NGO and focuses a lot on policy) on bias, fairness, and overall?
- OU students: After you have engaged in a lively discussion with your fellow students, complete the canvas declaration titled “Module 2: Bias and fairness discussion”